This week, we covered:
1. Core Content - Neuro with Dr. Hilbert. Discussed signs/symptoms/treatment of meningitis.
- Peruse this Paucis-Verbis card from ALiEM on when you should get a CT prior to LP for meningitis.
- Listen to this 2010 EMcrit podcast on severe CNS infections.
2. Toxicology with Dr. Mullins - Management of Oral Hypoglycemic overdoses.
- The Crashing Patient did this post on Hypoglycemia, including a review of the different oral hypoglycemics.
- The Poison Review touched on octreotide for sulfonylurea overdose in this blog post reviewing this article.
3. Critical Care with Dr. Palmer - Non-invasive Ventilation and Basics of Ventilator Management
- Scott Weingart's Dominating the Vent Part 1 and Dominating the Vent Part 2 are great EM-based tutorials on Ventilator Management
- Our own Dr. Fuller's algorithm posted on this blog for Troubleshooting Hypoxia on the Vent
- Our own EMJClub covered benefits of low tidal volume ventilation
- Brian Fuller & Brian Cohn wrote this article for epmonthly on "Protecting the Intubated Patient".
4. Trauma Conference -Resuscitation of the patient in hemorrhagic shock
- You can listen to this EMCrit podcast on resuscitation of the trauma patient in hemorrhagic shock.
- You can read this excellent post on predicting need for Massive Transfusion in trauma from Life in the Fast Lane.
- For a discussion of more recent literature, read Rory Spiegel's EM Nerd post regarding the findings of the PROPPR trial regarding optimum transfusion strategies.